"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Winterville Watermelon Festival

This Saturday was the Winterville Watermelon Festival. This was the first time Cody and I have been; it seems like we always heard about it after it had happened. It left us with reminiscent feelings of the Apple Festival in our hometown of Taylorsville.

We arrived in time to see the last part of the parade. (Cody's favorite part was a huge grocery cart that was driven with some sort of a go-cart type motor. I really wish I had a picture, but we didn't take the camera. Here is a picture we found online of the "Got to be NC Big Cart".) We had to walk a LONG way to get to the actual festival from where we watched the parade. Being our first time, we really didn't know where to park, and it seems we obviously parked a little too far away.

A large part of the festival was the fair rides. We didn't venture into that section. (Although Cody probably would have liked to ride some, I don't do so well with fair rides--they always make me feel sick. I am all about some roller coasters, but I will definitely pass on the fair rides.) There were a lot of different vendors set up. You could find anything from watermelon carvings, free slices of watermelon (yum!), watermelon related crafts (like children's clothes and homemade watermelon rind jam), tons of pocket books, sculptures made out of recycled metal pieces, and of course, all types of food vendors. Throughout the day, they were having different types of activities, such as musical performances and watermelon eating contests.

We browsed some of the different vendors and then grabbed some lunch. (We realized the the $20 we had brought was going to go fast.) Cody had his favorite fair food-a $7 bratwurst-and I settled for $5 chicken supremes from the Bojangles stand and we shared a $5 cup of strawberry lemonade.

It did get pretty hot, but Cody and I had a great time together. It is times like this that are memories in the making....

No comments:

Post a Comment