"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Trees for a Good Cause

Do you remember when Cody and our neighbor Mark went tree hunting? The leaves started popping out of the tree a few weeks ago, and it looked so good. It was going to be some sort of a maple. I was so excited that it seemed to be doing well and proud of ourselves for getting a completely free tree! Well, it turned black and died. I don't know what happened to it, other than we probably didn't water it like we should have. So, of course I had to get something to replace the tree, plus a few extras......

The Gardeners for Hope Society was having a plant sale today. The funds raised are dispersed by the nurses at the Leo W. Jenkins Cancer Center to buy wigs, protheses, dressings and health products for patients who can't afford it. Apparently they do this sale every other year, and it is a great place to get plants and trees at a low cost. I went with my co-worker, Ruth, and we both found some good deals! I came home with a box full of trees and a tomato plant, all for $15. (The trees aren't too big, but I figured that even if they didn't live, the money was still going to a good cause.)

I got a river birch, sugar maple, curly willow, and a rain tree. Cody was sweet enough to dig up the hard dirt and help plant them. Thanks, baby! We will have to take a little bit better care of these trees and hope for the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment