"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Complaints with Thanks

Elizabeth, a friend and previous neighbor, does something on her blog called "Complaints with Thanks."  It's a way to find the small blessings in the frustrations and heartaches of everyday life.  Today seemed appropriate for me to have a "Complaints with Thanks" post.

Hershey hurt his leg while we were outside playing with bubbles.  Maddie loves to watch Hershey chase bubbles!  I didn't notice that he hurt it while we were outside because he was too busy having fun, but when we came inside it was clearly obvious that he was in pain.  He couldn't get comfortable, was whining occasionally, and wanted to close, or on top of me, all the time.  I ended up taking him to the vet.  I am thankful that the vet has Saturday hours and that it was still open when this happened, or else we would have had to go to the emergency vet...which costs much more!

Cody is on 24 hour call today, so I had to take both kids (Maddie and Hershey) by myself to the vet as a walk-in appointment and wait for about 2 hours before being called back.  I am thankful that Cody was able to have a few moments to steal away from work to come by the vet and wait with us for a while.  We were able to spend time with Cody, it made Hershey feel better to see his daddy, and I was able to feed Maddie while he watched Hershey. 

Between traveling time, wait time, and the time when the vet was in the room, it was about a 3 hour excursion, which took away time for all the things that needed to get done today, including a lunch date with Cody.  I am thankful that Maddie did great while we were there and that Hershey got the care he needed.  Cody ended up getting paged, so he probably wouldn't have been able to do lunch anyways.  Maybe we'll see if dinner will work...

We still aren't sure exactly what is wrong with his leg, but it could be a torn or partially torn ACL (or CCL, I think, for dogs).  We are going to try lots of "bedrest" (no walks, no runs, no jumping on and off couches and beds) and pain medicine and see how he is doing on Tuesday.  If he's not doing any better, he'll probably have to be put under sedation so they can more thoroughly examine his leg without causing him pain.  Depending on what they find, surgery could be an option if continued "bedrest" doesn't work.  I am thankful that bedrest and pain medicine could be all he needs to get better. 

We weren't planning on having a vet bill.  I am thankful that we have savings that can cover things like this.  This bill is a lot less than what it would have been had we gone to the emergency vet.  If we have to end up doing sedation or surgery, I am thankful that Cody is able to moonlight to get a little extra cash if we need it.

Where can you find the blessings in your life?

4 comments:

  1. Poor baby! I hope he feels better very soon. I'm really glad you didn't have to do the emergency vet and that Maddie was a trooper throughout.

    It's certainly easier just to complain and not feel thankful in times like this...glad you were able to find that silver lining. Sometimes it's very difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I'm going to try to do my first "Complaints with thanks-link up" on Monday...you can link to this post (if you want to). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry that Hershey hurt his leg. Bless his little heart. I sure hope that some rest will make him feel all better. I really enjoyed your complaints and thanks. You, Cody, Maddie, and Hershey are all blessed to have each other. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi from Elizabeth's blog! I'm sorry that your sweet baby Hershey got hurt. I completely understand the resident life and being called away and missing lunch dates, it makes all the times when you are actually able to accomplish them that much sweeter.

    ReplyDelete